We’ve been through the order process, and seen it unboxed. Now it’s time to register the device. Watch as I show how to maximize options that will allow you to try out the new device without entirely dropping the service with your old magicJack device. This registration process is geared toward the person who already owns a magicJack device and has an active magicJack account.* Nevertheless, it may help to look at what you’ll be seeing during registration even if you are a new magicJack owner before you are confronted with the same screens so you can be somewhat prepared, so please read on!

When I attempted to register with the device connected directly to the router via ethernet, I was unable to make my computer’s browser see the fact that the magicJack plus 2014 was connected. I made changes to my router, including checking firewall settings, and removing magicJack-approved port forwards. A number of other early adopters have had similar experiences. This looks like a case of magicJack’s geeks testing out device registration from inside the factory complex, but not really testing it out in enough people’s homes.

So I took the standard route and plugged the device into the USB port instead. The magicJack dialpad came up, upgraded for the 2014 device and just stood there. I figured, why not try mjreg.com again, even though I knew the device would not have an exposed MAC ID. Of course I got the same screen telling me the device could not be found. It was only then that I looked closer at the advertisement on the left side of the dialpad.

I’m so used to seeing an advertisement or coupon or upsell attempt in that space that my brain seems to have filtered it out for the first couple minutes. Frankly, the directions look like an ad, so it’s easy to scan right past it. Once I realized I actually needed to click that ad to get the process started, it went pretty smoothly.

Here’s a flowchart of the method I used. If javascript is enabled, a much larger image will appear on your screen in a frame when you click the image below. Click the X at the bottom of the image frame or outside the frame to make it disappear again.

Registration Flow Chart for the magicJack Plus 2014

While registration wasn’t really painful, it was a bit tedious trying to figure out exactly how to get it to work. Hopefully my pain will be your gain. Let me know in the comments below how your experience fared.

At some point before mid November, I have to decide whether to decommission one of the devices by clicking “off’ in the “AutoRenew” column when I’m logged in to the magicJack website. Right now, both the old and new devices sound about the same. Perhaps call quality is better for those with low-bandwidth DSL connections, but I hear no additional quality in the newer device. If anything it seems lower in volume. Stay tuned for the audio smackdown coming soon!

*If you do not already have a magicJack and you are tempted to transfer your existing non-magicJack number, please note that it’s a toss-up as to whether it’s worth transferring your current home or cell number. It costs extra on a yearly basis. You could use a number assigned to you by magicJack for the area code and exchange you select at no additional cost, instead of transferring your number.

Consider: instead of transferring immediately, use an assigned number at no additional cost for now. Get used to the device. Forward your regular home number to the device for a while. If your experience with the magicJack is okay, you can still transfer your land-line or cell number to magicJack after-the-fact. It will cost you as much to transfer after registration as it does to transfer during. It’s better to test the waters first, eh?

For myself, I transferred my home number from AT&T to Google Voice and then used GV’s call-forward feature to forward to both magicJack and skype. There was only a one-time transfer fee to GV. Not so with magicJack. Plus, if Skype is down, magicJack is working and vice versa. If neither is working, GV picks up the voice message, and I can get it later.

32 Responses to Registration of the magicJack plus 2014

• waynette Helm says:

I have tried to pull up http://www.mjreg.com to get my new magic jack up and running and my current home phone number, but I can not pull up the screen to do that.

• Chris says:

If your current home phone number is already a magicJack number, than it should appear. If your current phone number is not a magicJack number and you have no magicJack devices nor a magicJack account, then you will have to add a new number or transfer your existing home phone number. I would suggest using the method I used in this post. In short, I use Google Voice as my main number and have any calls to that number call-forwarded (free) to the magicJack plus. Nobody has to remember the magicJack number—only the GV number. That way if the magicJack fails, I still have phone messages on GV.

• John Birch says:

I am a new customer to Magic Jack 2014. Please give me some simple, direct instructions on how to register and activate my new kit and account. New customers should deserve more consideration and patience than old ones. Your registration instruction are not clear enough for me. Sincerely,

• Bill says:

Great video & instructions!

I have used the MagicJack Plus for over a year and a half and it has worked flawlessly.

I plan to replace my magicJack Plus with the MagicJack Plus 2014. I have the 5 year plan.

Should I check the box by “I elect to accept free outgoing service (recommended)”?

Thanks in advance

Hi Bill,
      I don’t remember seeing “I elect to accept free outgoing service (recommended)”, but it probably can’t hurt to do so. If the next prompt is “I elect to receive incoming calls (recommended)”, you know you’re on the right track.

When you’re done, you can always log back in at my.magicjack.com, click the “Call Features” tab, go to “Advanced” and make sure under “select service” for your new device that it says “I elect to accept outgoing and incoming service.” That way you’ll be able to receive and make calls from your new device.

Since you have many years already on your device, and it looks like you’ll want to transfer instead of having two devices, it looks like you’re interested in “Option 3″ from the video, correct? If so, you’ll probably want to choose the option that looks something like: “Transfer the service under the Old device to the new one and the Old device will be deactivated.” This option appears along with a choice for a vanity number and a slew of other options. This only appears if you have more than six months left on your existing plan. Good luck!

• Patricia Cutler says:

My mj 2014 plus is working and I have yet to get to registration. What now?? It has a phone no. how ???

• Chris says:

If you mean to say that you did not register your mJ+ 2014, but it already has a number, and you just received it from magicJack directly, is the number local to you in Arkansas? Is it possible someone in your family did the registration for you before they gave it to you? If you received it fresh in the packaging direct from magicJack, you need to tell them they sent you a used magicJack. Contact magicJack chat support. If you bought it from BestBuy or RadioShack, they may have attempted to resell a registered device without telling you that’s what they did. You’ll need to bring it back there. If you bought it from ebay, that’s between you and the ebay seller.

• Roselyn A Berg says:

I am a new MJ customer and at this point very frustrated! I purchased the MJ 2014 a week ago and tried to use it the way instructed thru the modem and plugged into power thru a wall outlet. I followed the
    instructions very carefully even making sure I did it in the correct sequence but by installing the MJ this way I was unable to receive calls I could call out but not receive. So I went out and bought a new whole phone system thinking that maybe mine was too old so yesterday I tried again and to no avail it still wasn’t working as it was supposed to.
    I now have it plugged directly to a USB port on my computer and I am up and working, but I would like it to work the way it is intended so I don’t have to keep my computer on all the time. One thing I notice when I plug it into power and using the Ethernet cord is that the lights on the top of the device blink on and off red and yellow (the blue stays on) and the device get very hot. Obviously something is wrong with the way I have it installed but I wish someone would tell me what!

Roselyn,
      I understand your frustration. As you can tell from the video in the post above, I too was unable to use their router method for getting the device registered and activated. Like you, I was able to register and activate using the USB method.

It’s possible there are settings on your router that are conflicting with your magicJack device. If you have a modem/router combo, there are settings that could also be conflicting. Some Belkin routers ship with a default configuration that conflicts with the mJ+.

You may want to try turning off MAC address filtering on your router if it’s on.

As to the chasing lights, the normal order of things is shown in this post in the accompanying video. If you are seeing a yellow blinking light instead of green, and you have a regular phone plugged in, this doesn’t seem like normal behavior. Also, what different people call “hot” is flexible. If the device is sort of hot but not too hot to touch, this may be in the acceptable temperature range. In order to reduce the heat, try connecting the USB extension cable between the adapter and the AC adapter.

If the device is too hot to touch, you need to talk to chat support and have them send you a new one.

• Innocent Egwuonwu says:

I am finding it difficult to set up my magicjack plus phone

• gin mang says:

I don`t know can not register my magicjack

• Chris says:

Since you live in a small city in NC, (Go Villains!) why not consider asking a computer-savvy friend to help you out? If that’s not an option, try chatting with magicJack chat support. Good luck!

• jacknc says:

i just took plunge and purchased the new MJ 2014. I have been a satisfied customer for past 3 years. My question is about the ‘deactivated MJ device’. Can I give it to someone, who would then sign up for the service? Or will he just have to purchase new MJ?

• Chris says:

You can’t give the dead device to someone else for use with magicJack services. The device is dead to magicJack. You’ll have to buy your friend a new device with its own service. That is the one thing that magicJack really needs to fix. It is quite a waste of a perfectly good product. The only thing that you can do with it is use it as a USB-only device with google voice using the GVJack app from PCPhoneSoft. Of course now you have to leave your computer on in order to accept GV phone calls.

• Ward Adkins says:

I have lost all service to my magicJack could you tell me what is wrong? Thanks

• Chris says:

You will likely have to log in to my.magicjack.com and check your current situation. If your device is lapsed and you have not renewed (or allowed it to auto-renew) it may be that your device is no longer functioning. Check your magicJack account on-line. If all looks well, then chat with chat support.

• elsa spielvogel says:

Were can I get my password

• Chris says:

Elsa, if you didn’t get it on a brightly-colored, bolded scrap of paper with your magicJack, you probably ordered your magicJack online, in which case it will be in an email you received from magicJack. Check your spam box if it’s not in your inbox. Good luck!

• elsa says:

I still can’t registred, I am a new member. I got this product on Best Bay Store

Elsa,
      I can be more helpful if you tell me a few things: were you able to find the password in amongst the paperwork that came with the magicJack when you got it from Best Buy? Or, did you follow these directions and receive an email during the process of filling out the form as shown in the video? If not, have you tried chatting with magicJack chat support?

• howard zbornak says:

I CAN’ T REGISTER MY NEW MAGICJACK PLUS 2014.

• Jevonanne says:

How do I register for magic jack

• macarena pijuan says:

Hola, tengo magicjack plus, casi un año, se rompio, me regalaron otro y quiero activarlo con el mismo numero, ya que tengo suficiente saldo, pero no lo puedo hacer, cuando lo active por 1 vez, tenia otro correo electronico, por favor necesito de su ayuda, me pueden escribir a [address-at-removed-dot-com ], se los agradezco, les saluda atentamente

Dear Macarena,
      I don’t speak Spanish. I don’t work for magicJack. I receive too many requests to contact everyone by email. It is unfortunate your magicJack is broken. Since you live in Santiago, Chile, activating and registering your replacement magicJack in Chile is not possible. Registration and activation of the magicJack must occur inside the US or Canada. Next time you come to the US to visit relatives, please consider using their internet to register and activate your replacement device while you are here.
      Good luck.

• Lorena Goebel says:

I don’t know what you want me to put in the “website” box.

• Chris says:

Some people have websites. When commenting, if you want others to know a little more about you, and my own research assures me your website is not harmful to others, you can put your website address in that field. If you don’t have a website, or would prefer to remain a little more anonymous, you can leave it blank.

• Lynda White says:

HI, I NEED TO BUY NEW PORT. PHONES . ONE BASE AND 3 HAND SETS. CAN YOU PLEASE TELL ME WHICH BRAND HAVE PEOPLE HAD THE BEST LUCK WITH? I DON’T REALLY CARE ABOUT CELL TO PHONE, JUST A GOOD SET OF PHONES WITH AN ANSWERING MACHINE. THANK YOU, LYNDA

• Chris says:

I prefer this one from Panasonic. It uses standard nickel metal hydride rechargeable AAA batteries so you aren’t stuck having to pay for terribly-expensive model-specific rechargeable phone batteries. It’s 1.9 GHz – outside both standard wifi ranges, so it won’t compete. We can use ours anywhere in the house and up to a third of a mile away. We live in densely wooded neighborhood. Your mileage may vary, but I’m very happy with Panasonic’s phones.